It’s no secret that people love escaping to the Caribbean for their sailing adventures. And we don’t blame them, we love doing the same.
However, sailing the Great Lakes, and especially sailing Lake Michigan out of our homeport of Traverse City, is as picturesque and relaxing as anywhere you could imagine. The waters are crystal clear shades of blue and green, and the shoreline is made up of sand dunes, beaches and quaint harbor towns. There are times in the middle of summer, minus the palm trees and the salt water, that you would think you were in the Caribbean.
Even though we kinda like the fact that this is somewhat of a hidden sailing gem, we also felt it was important to share it with fellow sailors looking for a new place to explore, and of course with all of you who already love sailing this amazing part of the world.
Sure, there are directories and clubs out there already that already promote sailing this area. But with Unsalted Sailing we are taking a bit of a different approach:
- We will we use this website to showcase and highlight Great Lakes sailing.
- We will utilize all the fancy social networking tools, including Facebook and Twitter.
- We are hosting the Unsalted Flotilla and Events.
- We will be asking for your photos, stories and input (we are not claiming to be experts in all 5 Great Lakes, so we will depend on your expertise to build this brand…and we all know that ‘local knowledge’ is more valuable than what a visitor’s center has to offer, so we are looking forward to hearing your ‘local knowledge’ as we grow the Unsalted Sailing brand).
- We will offer a complete line of Unsalted Sailing merchandise, not only featuring the logo, but also an entire line of Unsalted Sailing designs inspired by and reflecting this very area we call home.
- We are bringing you Unsalted Sailing not only as a result of our love of sailing, but also as a result of Capt Dave’s years in the business and as the owner of Bay Breeze Yacht Charters and Sailing School, and the result of Rod’s experience in the retail & merchandising world and as creator and owner of the Snoloha (read our story for more).
So kick back and enjoy the sail…that is until it’s time to tack and we ask for a hand.