Explore the Best of the Great Lakes!
- Sailing August 10 – 16, 2013
- Reception cook-out and complimentary boarding the afternoon of August 9th.
Captains Bob & Ann will be leading the flotilla along the way assisted by the Bay Breeze staff. You’ll have assistance and guidance all throughout the event.
This is your opportunity to explore the islands, beaches, towns and harbors of beautiful Northern Michigan with the comfort and safety of sailing with others. You can join us by:
- Charter a boat from the Bay Breeze fleet – bareboat or hire a captain
- Learn to sail and take an ASA course along the way. Cruising courses also available for those with basic sailing experience.
- Book just a double cabin on a captained boat with another couple.
- Sail on your own boat for a small entry fee!
All sailors welcome – beginners to ol’ salts! We’ll harbor hop in Grand Traverse and Little Traverse Bays with expected visits to Suttons Bay, Northport, Charlevoix,Omena Bay, Elk Rapid or Old Mission Harbor, Bower’s Harbor and Marion Island. There will be presentations, wine tasting, nature hikes and the “Twisted Sheet Regatta” along the way.
For beginners or those looking for a thorough refresher, the ASA 101/103 combo course is offered and the 104 bareboat certification course is offered also for those with a little more experience. This is the event that started it all and is sure to be a hit again in 2012.
Proposed Itinerary (could change depending on weather):
- Day 1 – Suttons Bay – quaint town with art galleries, great restaurants and beaches. Anchoring outside the marina is an option.
- Day 2 – Elk Rapids or Old Mission with the “Twisted Sheet Regatta” along the way. This is a fun, informal regatta race with a humorous awards ceremony afterwards.
- Day 3 – Northport – Jack Klang will meet us there and with one of his nationally recognized sailing presentations.
- Day 4 – Charlevoix – a favorite stop-over in an amazing setting. Explore the town, galleries, beaches and restaurants or even the self-guided walking tour of the famous Earl Young Mushroom Houses.
- Day 5 – Omena Bay – enjoy a private wine tasting at the Leelanau Wine Cellars waterfront tasting room and dinner available at the adjacent “Knot Just A Bar”.
- Day 6 – Bower’s Harbor with a stop over at Power Island – we’ll explore this diverse nature preserve island with a personal tour from the park ranger and then anchor for the night at Bower’s Harbor where a shuttle awaits to take us to the very popular “Jolly Pumpkin”; a historic landmark that is now a brew-pub restaurant in a beautiful setting. On site wine and beer tasting followed by famous perch, whitefish, ribs and other great menu options.
- Day 7 – return to Traverse City (about 5 miles away) at a nice leisurely pace.